Moroccan lamb meatballs with a rucola, orange and pecan halloumi salad.
This was dinner that I prepared for a couple of friends last night. It’s a great meal to put together as it doesn’t require much preparation time and will definitely leave your guests satisfied and impressed. The lamb meatballs are packed with flavour from the spices and the salad gives the dish that perfect twist of tanginess from the oranges!
Meatballs recipe: (serves 8)
1 1/2 kilos lamb mince
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 gloves garlic, chopped finely
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp oat bran/oat flour
2 tsp ras el hanout spice
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground chilli
Bunch of fresh mint & parsley, chopped finely
1. Simply combine all the ingredients together and set aside for at least 30mins to marinate. (You can also do this overnight)
2. Roll the mixture into balls and set aside.
3. Heat a large non stick pan with 1 tbsp coconut oil, then add the meatballs and cook for around 7 mins on either side, until browned on the edges but slightly pink in the middle.
For the salad:
1 bag of rucola (roquette)
2 oranges (juice of half for the dressing, the rest chopped into small pieces)
Handful of goji berries (optional)
1 cup pecans, halved
1 avocado, chopped
1 block halloumi cheese, cut into thick slices
Bunch of fresh mint, chopped
For the dressing:
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp honey
2 tsp dijon mustard
1. Combine all the salad ingredients together.
2. Heat a small non stick pan and grill the halloumi cheese until browned on both sides. Then add to the salad.
3. Pour over the dressing and toss together well.
I served the meatballs with a side of salad, toasted wholemeal pitta, mint yoghurt raita and a glass of wine…remember it’s all about balance!
I was born into a family of healthy eaters and from that my passion for healthy eating and all things good for you grew. I am very conscious about giving my body all the goodness that it deserves, especially in today’s fast-paced lifestyle where pre-packed ready meals and sugar loaded snacks are so easily available.