The American Psychiatric Association has a manual entitled the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and it suggests that the following list indicates the type of behaviours that could indicate an addiction.
Run through this list and look at your behaviour over the last year, when it comes to eating sugar and sugary foods.
• The substance is often taken in larger amounts than intended.
• A persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down substance use.
• A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance.
• Important activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.
• Substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance.