By Sara Borg.
Ingredients for a Healthy Christmas Fruit Cake:
- 100g Pitted dates
- 100g Dried apricots
- 50g dried figs
- 30g raisins/sultanas
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- Juice and zest of one orange
- 2 tsp vanilla extract/1 tsp vanilla powder
- 100g spelt flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinammon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a 18-20cm baking tin with parchment paper.
- Start by chopping the dried fruit and place these in a bowl together with the zest of one orange.
- Beat the eggs and add the vanilla, spices and orange juice. Then pour this mixture over the dried fruits and combine well.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the fruit mixture then add the spelt flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour the cake mix into the lined baking tin and flatten over the top making sure the mixture is evenly spread out.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 1 hour and 15 mins or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Then cut into squares or delicate slices. You should get approximately 30 pieces out of this recipe.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container
I was born into a family of healthy eaters and from that my passion for healthy eating and all things good for you grew. I am very conscious about giving my body all the goodness that it deserves, especially in today’s fast-paced lifestyle where pre-packed ready meals and sugar loaded snacks are so easily available.